- Children learn by doing - through hands-on, minds-on discovery and experiential learning. This applies in decision making, taking responsibility, academics, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Each child is accepted as an individual with unique requirements and potential. Every student holds a gift or talent to be shared with the school community, and we learn to appreciate others for their contributions to our community.
- Children learn when their process, not just the end result, is acknowledged and where mistakes are recognized as part of the learning process.
- CS#1 strives to provide an atmosphere that values diversity and supports social, emotional, cognitive and physical development. We learn through exploration and by sharing our knowledge, skills, and experiences with others.
- Children are not compared to others and are encouraged to reach their own potential. We seek and value students' point of view.
- Teachers, parents, and students work in partnership to achieve our goals.
- Teacher consistency from grade to grade allows for individualized curriculum and an extended relationship between teachers, students and families.
- A flexible curriculum allows the school to respond to learning opportunities as they arise. This flexibility enables teachable moments and student response/inquiry to the events of our community. The curriculum is adapted to address student supposition.
- Developing the love of learning builds a commitment and passion for continued life-long learning.